February 27, 2011

No-bake Macaroons

These are little, tasty, healthy, good-for-you, easy-to-make treats. Serious. (Unless you really hate coconut.)

Last week when I make those chocolate-dipped coconut macaroons I thought of my dear friend K, who recently due to some health issues, need to abstain from wheat, eggs and peanuts. Then I thought of this coconut-chocolate balls recipe I used to make some years back, but I had lost the recipe in the shuffles of life. I wanted to recover that recipe so I can make it for my friend K.  I was really happy when I was browsing around the Tropical Traditions website and found this recipe. It seemed very similar to the recipe I had before (as far as memory serves me), so I decided to give it a spin. It was rather easy to make, and they have been going fast, especially with my youngest one. You have no idea how hard I had to conceal my gleeful excitement that she was eating a healthy treat and not knowing it! I reacted with exaggerated horror when she wanted to have more than one (but really was pinching myself with joy)!

I know I will have to make another batch soon. I gave a jar to my friend K and hope to hear her verdict soon. The only adjustment I made to the recipe is reducing the amount of maple syrup slightly, and also substituing some of the maple syrup with coconut nectar (which is gluten-free, dairy-free, and has a very low glycemic index. I must warn you though that their claim of it not having a coconutty flavor is not true as far as my household is concerned. You certainly will discern it so I will caution against using too much of it at a go until you decide how you like the taste). I did use a coconut oil with a pronounced coconut flavor, but if you prefer not to have a strong coconut taste, you can use a coconut oil with mild or little coconut flavor. The expeller-pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions has no coconut smell or flavor (I have no affiliation to them, I found this oil for a friend who did not like the coconut smell and taste).

Also, I am thinking when I make the next batch I will sneak in some ground cinnamon for added health benefits! Let me know if you experiment and come up with something else!






No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

  • 3 cups unsweetened dried coconut flakes
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (note: always measure coconut oil in its liquid state)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together well. Form into small balls using a spoon or cookie scoop and refrigerate until firm.(I pressed the mixture between two spoons.) Makes about 40, depending on the size of balls you make. These macaroons need to be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yumm! I make raw nut balls all the time for the children. Experiment with peppermint oil, dried cherries, ginger powder, nutmeg....not all at once however. Blessings sweet Mama.

    ReplyDelete