April 13, 2011

Wacky Cupcakes (GF, egg-free)

Gluten-free, egg-free chocolate cupcakes with ivory frosting
When my friend K's birthday was upcoming, I knew I wanted to bake her a cake she could enjoy without having to worry about allergens. I wanted to make it good, as I know the first birthday celebration without her dear mother will be tough. As I thumbed through the cookbooks my anxiety only raised as I did not really have time to test-drive the recipes and I did not want to serve her a mass of disaster in a bowl and hand her a spoon (even though she said that would be mighty fine by her).

So, imagine my joy and relief when I saw Jeanne (over at Art of Gluten-free Baking) had not only made a wacky cake recipe (one of the recipes I pondered, wondering if it would work with a GF baking mix), she had one that she had made frequently. FABULOUS! I knew I need looked no further! That was the recipe I settled on, though I used Bob's Red Mill's all-purpose gluten-free flour-mix and added xanthan gum. I also decided to use the Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting from Rose's Heavenly Cakes to decorate the cupcakes, thinking a contrasting ivory topping will make them look fun. The other reason why I settled on this frosting was because it did not require additional sugar.

I am happy to report that the birthday tea for K turned out really well this past Sunday, blessed with gluten-free, egg-free cupcakes that turned out delicious, with a dreamy frosting that was a cinch to make. I made the cupcakes and frosting together with V, making our "personal time" together all the more sweeter. And ever since I posted on Facebook this rose cake tutorial from i am baker, I had been dying to try it. I don't think my roses looked too shabby for a first try, don't you think? Of course, hers are far more superior, sniff~

Gluten-free, egg-free Wacky Cupcakes
original recipe from Art of Gluten-free Baking
Makes 12 cupcakes or one 8-inch square cake
  • 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free baking mix*
  • 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 cup  granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 6 Tbsp rice bran oil (or other neutral-flavored vegetable oil)
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cold milk (or you can use cold water, or coffee)
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  2. Stir together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl (or you can do as Jeanne did, and do it directly in an 8" square cake pan. I used a mixing bowl since I was making cupcakes). 
  3. Make three depressions (or wells) in the flour mixture, 2 small and 1 large.
  4. Pour your oil into the biggest well, and the vanilla and vinegar into the 2 smaller wells.
  5. Pour the cold milk (or liquid of choice) over it all, and mix well gently.
  6. Portion batter (it's rather watery) out into the muffin tins. (I poured the batter into a large measuring cup and poured from there, much easier.) If you are using square pan just smooth out the top.
  7. Bake cupcakes for 30 minutes, until tester comes out clean. The square cake may need 5-10 minutes more, check with tester, which should come out clean. Let cool completely on wire rack. Frost if desired, and enjoy!
* Scroll to the bottom of this page for alternative GF flour mixtures. There is a rice-free one, and another using bean flours.

Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting
Recipe from  Rose's Heavenly Cakes
Makes 2 3/4 cups frosting, enough to frost 12 cupcakes
  • 9 oz white chocolate that contains cocoa butter
  • 12 oz cream cheese, softened but still cool (about 65F)
  • 6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened but still cool (about 65F)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp sour cream
  1. In a double-boiler, heat the white chocolate over hot, but not simmering water, stirring often (I used a bowl over a pot since I do not own a double boiler. You can also use the microwave but I do not recommend using one for health reasons.) The white chocolate should be almost completely melted when you remove it from the heat. Stir to completely melt the chocolate.
  2. Let white chocolate cool until no longer warm to the touch but is still fluid.
  3. In a food processor, process the cream cheese, unsalted butter and sour cream until smooth and creamy. Scrap down the sides then add the cooled melted white chocolate. Pulse until completely incorporated.
  4. Frosting will become more firm in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment