May 4, 2011

The Triple-C Cookie

Actually, since "chocolate chips" is technically two words, this cookie recipe should be called the quadruple-C cookie. It is: Coconut Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookie. It is an alliteration cookie. It contains lots of good stuff, it tastes heavenly and it is addictive. And, it is a straight-forward, easy recipe. I love it!

This is bite-sized heaven.
I adapted this from a Martha Stewart recipe (originally named "Coconut-Cranberry Cookies" and appeared in the December 2003 issue, I was not able to find it online). When I saw that the recipe required grated orange zest, I knew it would not fly with me. For some reason, I do not mind zesting lemons, but I just do not like zesting oranges. It also called for sweetened shredded coconut, which I did not have on hand and did not wish to buy. So I made a few changes, including reducing the amount of sugar, using orange-flavored cranberries (from Trader Joe's), and adding orange extract, coconut extract and chocolate chips. However, I think this recipe will still be plenty wonderful with regular dried cranberries and sans orange extract. It should still bring you to your knees and have your friends and family begging for more.

Don't ask me why but I just felt like taking a picture of the cookie dough. I thought the dotted jewels of red amongst the pale dough was rather alluring.
Oh, and I forgot one more thing: I made the balls smaller, simply because I like bite-sized indulgences. (And it's easier to pop an entire one into your mouth whilst alone in the kitchen, with no one realizing what you have done, ha!) This cookie leans towards the "crunchy" category. Very crispy, but the center has a tad of chew provided by the coconut and cranberries. It's quite a perfect balance, I have to say.


Coconut Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe
Makes about 60 cookies
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar (I would even reduce it to one cup next time, the chocolate chips added plenty of sweet to this recipe)
  •  2 tsps vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp orange extract (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp coconut extract 
  • 1 1/2 cups dried orange-flavored cranberries (or use plain ones if you prefer) 
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
  1.  Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking  sheets with parchment paper and set aside. 
  2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the extracts. Add flour mixture, beat on medium-low until mixture comes together. Beat in cranberries, shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
  4. Form dough into 1-inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges begin to brown, about 15 to 17 minutes total.
  5. Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment